Thursday, September 17, 2009

[sweet 16]

26 new children have moved into the depths of my heart.

I've long said that children are the heart of my heart, and that I can name at least 20 that have permanently touched my life.

There are even more now.

They are the students of Room 16, at Thousand Oaks Elementary School, in Berkeley, California.


(this is a picture of the opening walkway, I guess you could say
the entrance of the school.
underneath the bridge-like thing, there is a massive and
colorful painting of a world map.)


Berkeley works to ensure that every elementary school has kids from varying backgrounds, so that there isn't a "rich" elementary school, or vice versa.

This 5th grade class is a perfect example of that.

I am the student teacher, serving alongside a dynamic and amazing master teacher.
Her name is Jeni, and yes, that's what they call her.
They call me Gaby. Good times.

Our class, our fearless group of Room 16-ers, our little global community, is so stinkin diverse.
I love it.

Each and every child is unique, carrying with them their own cultures, race and nationalities.
Most of all, their personalities make them all special.
little grownups.

It totally trips me out.

And it's a beautiful thing.

Viva Fifth Grade :)


No comments: